Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 165 fully featured services from data centers globally. Millions of customers – including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies – trust AWS to power their infrastructure, become more agile, and lower costs. It’s for these reasons, and more, that NextGen Healthcare has decided to move to AWS. We spoke with David Slazyk, Chief Information Security Officer and Sr. Vice President Data Privacy, who is leading the company-wide transition to answer some of our questions. See his answers below.
1. Why is NextGen Healthcare moving to AWS?
David: We are trying to solve four main areas of concern:
- Complexity - We were hosted in over 20 different colocation facilities through more than 7 different vendors. Reducing the number of physical locations and vendors helps simplify management of these infrastructures.
- Unpredictable and rising costs - With a large number of “traditional” infrastructures to manage, we were hit with hardware refreshes almost annually. This creates a large outlay of capital at different times throughout the year. By eliminating the need to purchase and support physical hardware, we can better plan for costs throughout the year.
- Agility - As our clients expect us to adapt to their changing needs, having a platform to run our solutions on that can quickly scale up or down is essential. Not only can we quickly adjust for capacity, but the services AWS offers allow us to architect solutions that help us quickly meet the demands of our clients.
- Client satisfaction - Running our services on a world class platform like AWS gives us the ability to meet ever increasing SLA requirements. Ensuring client data is secure and available when needed and performs to expectations helps drive improved client satisfaction scores.
2. How will this switch benefit NextGen Healthcare clients?
David: By reducing or, in some cases removing, complexity we “get out of our own way” as we build solutions that enable our clients to do better for their patients. This allows us to move faster which means time to market with features our clients want happens sooner. Happy clients equal improved client sat scores.
3. What should NextGen Healthcare clients expect once migrated over to AWS?
David: Clients can expect an experience that is more resilient to infrastructure failures. This environment allows them to quickly grow or shrink their footprint depending on their specific business requirements. As a healthcare provider, security of data is paramount when working with a partner like NextGen Healthcare and all clients that migrate will take advantage of the security tools AWS offers to help protect their data and meet compliance/regulatory objectives.
With a focus on client satisfaction and optimal software performance, we are excited about our AWS transition and eager to get started.
Meet NextGen Ambient Assist, your new AI ally that generates a structured SOAP note in seconds from listening to the natural patient/provider conversation.Read Now